Tuesday, August 12, 2008

odds and ends

This is a log cabin quilt that I started over 10 years ago. It was my first "real" quilting class, the top and the quilting have been finished for at least 9 years, but, Mom and I couldn't ever find the binding or the time to finish it. So, here it is finished. And I do still like it. I wish that it was a bit bigger (it's made for a supersingle waterbed which is not my bed anymore). But, it is quite pretty. The backing is this all over white on white pattern. Mom took 10 1/2 hours to quilt it at Butterfly Quilts in Billings...They are no more--we think the machine is in Absorkee now. Anyway, you can see in this picture, why it took 10.5 hours--following all those little bitty details in the flowers. But, it turned out very nice--it's the first and only quilt so far which has an all wool batt in it. Very nice. I'm sleeping under it right now, in August.
And, this is my too much $$$ acquisition. But, I like it a lot. I am not going to refinish it. The reason why the bottom right drawer is different is because it was broken, and my dad remade the drawer. When he took off the handle, it said patented 1897 ( I think). Pretty cool! I like how the drawers are all uneven and the wood is different colours... inside the drawers were newspaper liners from 1936 through 1968. The Independent Record, of Helena, states in its headline on December 12, 1966 "Hoffa's Jury Tampering Conviction Upheld". "Ike's Gall Bladder Out" is right underneath that next to "B52 Bombers Hit Pass in North Vietnam". And, some superfluous basketweaving. This came along with the map case, the three trunks, the ladder, the chair, the mirror, the various assortment of odds and ends that we picked up at that auction The (very large) box of basketweaving stuff was $2.50. And, this is what I've started so far. I took basketweaving classes in the mid 1980s at the Wyoming Fiber Affairs. So, no, this wasn't a "college basketweaving class". I actually do know how to do it.
This is the mirror in process of having it's ugly red stain removed--the oak underneath is very very pretty, and why someone would put that red over it, and so sloppily, I don't know. Anyway, it is finished now, and it's hanging in my room. I think it measures something like 18 x 40 ( I hung it landscape).

No comments:

Quote of the Day