Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Glue, I need more glue!!!!

So, here are some close ups of the glue process. Last night we painted glue onto the felt in a 1::1 ratio. The previous armour was painted in a 5::1 glue/water ratio, and it turned out very hard. The difficult thing here is that this armor has to be comfortable, and it also needs to be shaped AFTER we put the glue coating on it, since we don't have enough or the right size of dress forms. The 1::1 ratio proved to be a little flimsy this morning after drying, so, I painted them again with the same mixture. I think that this mixture will seal the felt just enough for the surface to take paint, but still let the armour be pliable enough to be "comfy".
I must say, I am very happy, because the students have patterned these so well. They are really close to what the renderings are, and so far, this is the only step that I have completed--everything else has been done by them.
SO FUN! because the robots are actually starting to look like robots! We are going to paint the armour today. The shop is almost completely out of Elmers Glue-all, and so is Lowes and Home Depot in Palatka. And, Hobby Lobby doesn't have any--hmmm..... we still need to seal the back side of the armour, so I guess we need to take a road trip.

No comments:

Quote of the Day